Meet Noe David. He had a bilateral cleft lip. We fixed it. Yay!

Before
Here are some more shots of me doing medical play with the kids. They are so much fun.

Peek a boo!Well, the first two days of surgery are done, and they did not go exactly as we had imagined. The first day went pretty smooth. We started very late and ended late. The OR needed to get set up in the morning and run some code drills, so that took a little while. The day flowed pretty smooth after that. Yesterday however was a different story. We only did 7 cases and had major difficulties with two. As is the usual, we start with our younger patients since they have a harder time going without food. We had severe respiratory problems with one child. The team spent almost all day working on him and eventually late in the afternoon transfered him to the paediatric hospital by ambulance. The other little girl was very stridorous and had to be kept in the recovery room all day.
She was not a happy girl. It was a bit scary for the team, but more so for the parents. We decided not to do any more cases after that, but to start fresh today.I unfortunately didn't make it to the hospital today. My toilet got lonely at about 4AM this morning and kept calling me back to it until around 6AM. The mission co-ordinator told me to just stay here. I might take a cab to the hospital this afternoon though. I haven't eaten anything that the team didn't serve me. I haven't eaten any salad or fruit with skins that might have been washed properly. I have no idea why I am sick, but I started some antibiotics so I am on the mend. I really don't feel bad it's just that my body feels it needs to quickly expel anything I put in it. Most of the kids who were cancelled yesterday will come back today and I have already prepared them for surgery, so I hope everything goes smoothly. But to be honest, I really just want to come home. I don't think I like Mexico. The people are great. The weather is fantastic. The lanscape is beautiful. But for some reason, Mexico and I just aren't getting along. I will be happy when I am on the way home. Only two more days!

1 comment:
Hey Jody
I am so glad you are feeling better and hope that you stay well until you get home.
God is with you and I know He is watching out for you.
Hope you can see some of the sights at least.
Love you
Jackie
Post a Comment